By Alison WilliamsNovak Djokovic eventually wore down mercurial Latvian Ernests Gulbis 6-3 6-3 3-6 6-3 in the French Open semi-finals on Friday but only after suffering a sudden loss of form in the process.The Serbian world No.2 was cruising at two sets ahead but his level dipped suddenly allowing Gulbis to make a real match of it before he managed to finish the job and remain on course for the only grand slam title to elude him.Djokovic was overpowered by Gulbis in the third set and seemed to be lacking energy but some errors by his opponent in the fourth spared him being dragged into a decider.The number two seed displayed ice cool efficiency in the first two sets, more consistent from the baseline and clinical when the chances arose in the pair’s first match since 2011.But moments of casual brilliance from 18th seed Gulbis stunned Djokovic in the third which he sealed with an ace after breaking the serve of his worried-looking opponent.Suddenly what had looked like a straightforward afternoon on Phillipe Chatrier court for Djokovic, last year’s runner-up, threatened to turn ugly.However, he upped his level in the fourth as Gulbis started to wilt, earning the right to take on king of clay Rafa Nadal or Wimbledon champion Andy Murray in Sunday’s final.Gulbis, who had reached the last four of a grand slam for the first time after 27 attempts, mostly matched Djokovic’s athleticism scrambling around the court but neither appeared to really hit top gear on the hottest day of the tournament.Djokovic will have to draw deeper on his stamina, belief and weapons if he meets Nadal who is looking for his ninth title on the Paris clay.Reaching Sunday’s clash mean’s Djokovic becomes just the sixth man since tennis turned professional in 1968 to reach multiple finals in each grand slam.Djokovic will reclaim the world number one spot if Nadal fails to win the title.
(File picture) It was announced by former minister for sports, now minister for lands, Justin Tkatchenko that construction work has resumed over 2 months ago.Minister Tkatchenko said that with the support of the Prime Minister and NCD Governor, funding has been approved through NCDC to finally get this Outstanding Stadium Finished.However now that funding has been approved, Curtain Brothers has signed the contract with NCDC and construction has already gone over 8 weeks forward.The Completion date is the end of October this Year.He added that the facility is expected to have a professional outlook and set up for weight- lifters to gear themselves up for their upcoming event.The Minister adds that the result should be something that PNG can look forward to seeing in the next four years when the athletes compete again.
A fifth championship would tie Argentina’s Juan Manuel Fangio, who won five times in the 1950s. Only Germany’s Michael Schumacher has more with seven. “This one, this year, has been one of the most enjoyable ones with the things I’ve been faced with,” Hamilton said, given his battle with Ferrari. “If I were to win the title, it would be one of the ones that I’m most proud of, would appreciate the most.” The crowds at the Mexican Grand Prix create one of the season’s most festive atmos-pheres, and Sunday should be no different, especially if the race lives up the pulsing finish last week in Texas. At 7,550 feet (2,300 meters) above sea level, by far the highest elevation of the season, the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez should set up a fight between the top three teams again. MOST PROUD WIN MEXICO CITY (AP): Lewis Hamilton has a second chance to secure the Formula One season championship. And he doesn’t have to finish anywhere near the front at the Mexican Grand Prix to do it. The British driver needs only to finish seventh on Sunday to kill off Ferrari’s fading hopes that Sebastian Vettel can keep chasing him to the end of the season. Hamilton leads Vettel by 70 points and can wrap up his fifth career championship with two races left. But don’t expect Mercedes to chase anything short of a victory, which would be an exclamation point on Hamilton’s roaring second half to 2018. “Win the race to get the title, that’s my goal,” Hamilton said yesterday. The other drivers expect nothing less. “As a driver, you always want to win. I don’t think that changes,” said Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, the defending race champion who believes his car can challenge Hamilton again for the victory. So does Ferrari, whether it’s Vettel or Kimi Raikkonen, the 39-year-old who grabbed his first win in five seasons last week at the US Grand Prix. That Ferrari victory, coupled with Verstappen’s defensive driving late to secure second, kept Hamilton from securing the championship last week. Hamilton finishing seventh sounds easy, but it comes with no guarantee. Last season, a punctured tire from a first turn collision with Vettel relegated Hamilton to ninth. He still won the title and celebrated the season wrapped in a Union Jack flag while Verstappen celebrated the day.
Dear Editor,In my conversations with Guyanese voters in travels around Guyana over the last several months, I found that the AFC has lost its credibility and virtually all of its support in its coalition arrangement with the PNC (APNU=PNC as the other parties in the coalition have no support).The population had much faith and confidence in the AFC to lead the country away from poor governance. Instead, the AFC has been seen as contributing to, and aligning itself with, the worst form of governance since independence in 1966.The political goodwill that people had for the AFC has been completely frittered away because of the party’s inability or unwillingness to rein in the PNC from its corrupt acts and dictatorial ways. Many describe the party’s behaviour as opportunistic and unworthy of continued support. AFC supporters complain about the AFC endorsing and supporting the PNC-led coalition regime’s policy of terminating workers, many of whom supported the AFC; and of victimizing those who are perceived as PPP supporters, while at the same time protecting PNC supporters.As found in surveys and obtained from so many conversations with people from all walks of life, those who supported the AFC in 2006, 2011 and 2015 (in coalition with the PNC) spoke of how the leadership has failed to deliver on promises and carry out the Cummingsburg Agreement. They say the party has betrayed them by entering into a coalition with the PNC and by failing to force the PNC to honour its commitments in the Cummingsburg Accord — sharing political power and office.If an election were held now and the AFC were to contest as a separate entity, it would be hard-pressed to win a seat. However, many of those (former PPPites) who supported the AFC are not returning to the PPP. They say they will not vote for the PPP unless the party completely reforms and sheds some of the characters in its leadership. Some of the former AFC supporters say they will support the URP or some new political movement, because they can’t bring themselves to return to the PPP that ill-treated them. Those PNCites who crossed over to the AFC have returned to the PNC, with a small number saying they would stay out of another election unless there is a new political party that is worthy of their support.For the AFC to redeem itself and recover lost support, it would have to take a tough line against the PNC, withdrawing support for policies of the PNC that have been hurting its supporters and the nation at large.Yours truly,Vishnu Bisram
Dear Editor,The Guyana Bauxite and General Workers Union (GB&GWU) wishes to make it very clear that the non-payment of 2017 tax refunds to workers employed at the Bauxite Company of Guyana Incorporated (BCGI) has absolutely nothing to do with their submission of tax returns.In a statement issued by the Department of Public Information (DPI), carried in sections of the media, headlined “Bauxite workers’ refunds delivered to GRA from RUSAL” it is stated that bauxite workers are to submit a claim to the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) for refund and this was communicated to the GB&GWU and all the parties concerned. DPI attributed the instant statement to Minister Keith Scott, who has responsibility for labour. This is wrong.The procedure for the refund was expressly outlined by the GRA via letter dated November 30, 2017, signed by Commissioner General Godfrey Statia and addressed to BCGI Chief Accountant Rafeek Khan. A copy is attached for your perusal. The instant letter directed BCGI that the money deducted between January and November 2017 be refunded to the workers and the company will reclaim same when submitting future taxes on workers’ income to the GRA (See items 1-3).In effect what the stated items mean is that: a) BCGI shall pay workers all monies deducted for taxes on overtime and premium hours workers for year 2017; and b) for the year 2016 the workers, individually, shall submit their returns to GRA which will be cross-referenced with the information submitted by BCGI in order for refund to be effected. The issue presently under contention is the non-refund to workers for taxes deducted on overtime and premium hours worked in 2017.GB&GWU is concerned that BCGI has to date not complied with the GRA’s directive which demonstrates continued blatant disregard for this nation’s sovereignty, its institutions and citizens/workers. The Union is further concerned about Minister Scott’s seeming comfort, as attributed in the DPI’s statement, to continuously mislead on this serious matter that borders on laws and effective functioning of government that he, by oath, has obligation to safeguard, protect and defend.GB&GWU calls on Social Protection Minister Amna Ally, who has responsibility for labour, to intervene and ensure this matter is treated with deserving seriousness and alacrity in order that the workers receive what’s duly theirs. Further, DPI is being advised there is no such company as RUSAL operating in Guyana. The name of the legally registered company is Bauxite Company Guyana Incorporated (BCGI), which the Government of Guyana is part owner of.Sincerely,Guyana Bauxite andGeneral WorkersUnion
Dear Editor,The United States Supreme Court, in King v Burwell, a recent case about what is commonly called “Obamacare,” in a decision written by the Chief Justice of that Court, Mr John Roberts, invoked the well-known Plain Meaning rule used in courts worldwide and said: “If the statutory language is plain, we must enforce it according to its terms.” See King v Burwell, 135 S. Ct. 2480, 2489 (2015).Guyana and the United States have courts with a common English origin. In both countries, the Plain Meaning rule is applicable.Here, the relevant statute is Article 106 (6) of the Constitution of Guyana which clearly states: “The Cabinet including the President shall resign if the Government is defeated by the vote of a majority of all the elected members of the National Assembly on a vote of confidence.”The constitution is silent as to the meaning of the word “majority.” The word is not ambiguous. That is, it does not have two meanings. We ought to read it for its plain meaning. Invoking the Plain Meaning rule in the case at hand, thirty-three is a “majority” over thirty-two. Government was defeated.Sincerely,Rakesh Rampertab
Eighteen police stations across the country will be rehabilitated under the second component of the Citizen Security Strengthening Programme. This component seeks to improve the effectiveness of the Guyana Police Force and the Forensic Laboratory in preventing crimes and conducting crime investigations.One of the stations earmarked for remodelingInitially, 12 stations would be remodeled to include: A department for domestic violence cases and domestic violence case room with the provision of accommodation for children, witness protection room, an automated case management room, area for management of the public and a listening room.The CSSP is in the process of hiring a consultant to begin designs for the first 12 selected stations. The first 12 stations identified for rehabilitation are: Region 6-Mibicuri Police Station, Region 4-Cane Grove Police Station, Region 3-La Grange Police Station, Region 10- Mc Kenzie and Kwakwani Police Stations, Region 7 – Enachu Police Station and Isanno Police Station, Region 9-Aishalton Police Station and Annai Police Station, Region 2- Suddie Police Station and Aurora Police Station and Region 1- Mabaruma Police Station.According to a Government Information Agency release, the stations selected were based on recommendations made by the Guyana Police Force to the Project Manager of the CSSP, Clement Henry. Henry said that these stations were considered the most in need.Component Two is being funded by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) at a cost of $US5.5M. The CSSP is a five year programme.
Sorcha Hegarty, Rachel Edwards, Simran Rai, and Tara HegartySome very happy girls after receiving their Junior Cert resultsRosemarie Fullerton, Michaela Bradley and Ciara McColgan over the moon with their Junior Cert results in Crana CollegeDelighted Crana College students Michelle Robinson Alison Duffy Georgie Lee Suzanne Callaghan and Caoimhe DohertyManus McLaughlin and Lee McCarron delighted with their Junior Cert resultsLiam Arthur giving the good news to his parentsCrana College girls Nicole Henderson Alison Duffy and Lauren McGonigle after recieving their excellent Junior Cert resultsCrana College boys Luke Timlin, Declan McGee, Craig Doherty, Jordan Arbuckle, and Craig Shaw just after opening their Junior Cert results envelopesCrana College boys Kiram Rahim and Michael Barr very happy with their resultsA delighted yet surprised Hannagh Dominguez-McLaughlin after recieving her excellent Junior Cert resultsPICTURE SPECIAL – CRANA COLLEGE JUNIOR CERT DELIGHT was last modified: September 11th, 2013 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:PICTURE SPECIAL – CRANA COLLEGE JUNIOR CERT DELIGHT
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECalifornia’s bungled $1 billion accounting system – Associated Press ASHGABAT, Turkmenistan – Turkmenistan’s eccentric leader announced Wednesday that his Central Asian nation would provide citizens with natural gas, electricity and water free through 2030. President Saparmurat Niyazov, said parliament had approved the action. Turkmenistan is the second-biggest natural gas producer, after Russia, in the former Soviet Union. Niyazov first ordered in 1993 that all residents of the country receive gas, electricity and water free. He has continued to extend the promise. Niyazov, who was Turkmenistan’s Soviet-era Communist Party boss, has ruled for 20 years and has developed an elaborate personality cult. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!